Yes, a food dehydrator can be used to make great tasting homemade dog treats
that dogs will love. Below is one easy recipe for making apple & oat bars. Steel cut oats are a great base mixture for experimenting with different homemade dog treats. The below recipe incorporates apples into the oats but try peanuts, boiled or steamed sweet potato or mix in other fruit or vegetable items.
- Combine 1/2 cup of steel cut oats and and 1 and 1/2 cups of water in a pan. Bring the water and oats to a boil and then stir over low heat until the oats are thick and tender.
- Using a food processor (or a good old fashioned knife and elbow grease) finely chop 1 to 2 cored apples.
- Mix the apples and oats together and add a very small amount (1/4 teaspoon or less) of cinnamon, if desired.
- Spread the mixture out to a 1/4 inch thickness on parchment paper within the food dehydrator trays. Dry the food mixture between 130 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit until the food is dry and firm. This will probably take over five hours.
- Cut the bars into the desired size and store in an airtight container.
Reward your dog with these great homemade dog treats!
Published 7/23/2009 12:00:00 AM