Are you looking for a healthier alternative to fried potato chips? Would you like to eat a chip that does not have excess oils, excess salt and unhealthy fats? If so, the answer lies with a food dehydrator and raw zucchini. Zucchini chips are a healthy, low fat, non-fried vegetable chip alternative to standard potato chips. Use the easy recipe below to create great tasting chips that are substantially better for you.
- Slice unpeeled zucchini into slices about 1/4 inch thick
- Blend tomatoes and garlic in a food processor, or use a knife to finely chop and mince
- Place the tomatoes and garlic in a bowl
- Add salt and or pepper according to taste
- Add a small amount of olive oil to the mixture
- Coat both sides of the zucchini slices with the tomato and garlic mixture
Dehydrating or Drying:
- Place the zucchini slices on the dehydrator’s drying trays
- Dry the zucchini slices for 12 hours or until the slices are crisp and show no signs of moisture within the slice. Break a zucchini chip open to test the inside of the slice.
Enjoy your healthy zucchini chips. Try substituting squash for zucchini or experiment with other seasonings, toppings or garnishes.
Published 9/17/2009 12:00:00 AM